G.K. Chesterton, T.S. Eliot: Frenemies

In a recent tongue and cheek conversation between Jason and myself concerning G.K. Chesterton and T.S. Eliot's relationship, I remarked to him that I could not remember if the men were friends or not or even if they had ever interacted.  

While perusing the Imaginative Conservative on a late night read I came across this interesting piece which answered my question. They were basically frenemies.
In 1929, following his much-publicized conversion to Christianity, Eliot wrote to Chesterton in a spirit of reconciliation: “I should like extremely to come to see you one day…May I mention that I have much sympathy with your political and social views, as well as (with obvious reservations) your religious views?”[7] The “obvious reservations” were a reference to the fact that Chesterton had converted to Roman Catholicism whereas Eliot had become an anglo-Catholic, i.e. a member of the “higher” regions of the Church of England. In the same letter, Eliot had added that Chesterton’s study of Charles Dickens “was always a delight to me.”



0 comments :

 

Copyright © Politics and Critical Thinking Design by BTDesigner | Blogger Theme by BTDesigner | Powered by Blogger